Saturday, January 17, 2009

Some food from my family from Miri, Sarawak.

Last November, my friend's (Magdalene) parent came to visit them in Houston, TX. All the way from Miri, Sarawak. I asked my sister and mom sent me some dry food. Thank you mom and sis, for taking the trouble to send those, even though it's not much but at least I get to eat them. Thank you Mag and your parents, for their kindness being able to bring it.

Look at what they sent me :


This is a kind of leave, which we called "bekai" in Kenyah dialect. We dry the leaves and pound it and store it in a bottle. This is a substitute for MSG which we put in our dishes to make it taste good. It is good to cook with daun ubi (cassava leaves), bamboo shoot, and etc. This reminds me of my late grandma and mom's cooking.



Native MSG

Closer look of it.


This is called "payang" in my dialect. A kind of nut.


Roti Osbone, one of my favourite


Fermented cassava leaves. (Kassam daun ubi).
I purposely asked my mom to do it like that or else the custom won't allow it to enter the USA.


Salai ikan lomek.

Dry Anchovies (Ikan pusu)


These are the food they sent me.


They packed it nicely in a plastic,

A small amount of each...



Notice that all the food are dried or fermented.. and then only can be allowed to bring it here.

No comments: