Wednesday, June 26, 2013

My Zucchini Plants


Zucchini is a type of squash, mostly called it summer squash. The zucchini can be yellow, green or light green, and generally has a similar shape to a ridged cucumber, though a few cultivars are available that produce round or bottle-shaped fruit. Its' leaves resemble the pumpkin but it has broader leave and spiky than that of pumpkin. In 2007, I planted some in my garden and it grew so well. Everyday, I picked one or two zucchini, fresh from the garden to cook as a side dish for dinner. My husband likes the zucchini very much. Sometimes, I made zucchini bread out of it or I stir fry it with mushroom.

In summer 2008, I grew them again and it was growing so well and all blooming with flowers. Hoping to see its produce too.. as my husband like to eat zucchini. I told him, that he would eat lots and lots of them, when I saw all the new flowers and young zucchinis sprouting from their vines. I guess, I talk too early to say that to him. It didn't happen the way I was hoping it would be.


The pests! The vine borers infested all of the plants.. and soon they were beginning to die. Every single little zucchini fruit turn yellow and died. I have tried to spray them with pesticide but it didn't work, as once their inside the vine it's difficult to get rid of them. I pulled all of them out from the garden and threw away the old leaves but the young leaves and its flowers.. I took them to cook it. You might be surprised to know that, but being a person who likes to eat lots of green vegetables and it turn out pretty well.

Here is what I did with those leaves.













No comments: