Sunday, July 1, 2007

Sarawak Native Mustard Vegetables

You might be wondering what is Sarawak Native Mustard Vegetables???? In Sarawak the Iban people called it Ensabi, the Kenyah called it Ambek. It's a type of mustard which is slightly smaller than the normal mustard plant and a bit bitter when you cooked it. Nevertheless, the natives i.e. Iban, bidayuh, kayan, kenyah, kelabit people like it very much. It's easily grown anywhere in the world, as long as you have hot and wet climate like in my home country, Sarawak, East Malaysia. In Sarawak it's commercially marketed by the native people of Sarawak at the market (tamu). I like to eat it very much. When I worked in Kuala Lumpur, I used to bring some back with me whenever I went back to Miri (my hometown). I would buy like 2 to 3 packets to bring to KL. Now that I am in Houston, TX, USA. I asked my sister to me some of the seeds which I I grow it in my garden at the backyard during this summer. It does grow very well during the summer time. Below are the picture of it.


These are the mustard seeds which I got after it grew old.


These seeds are kept and can be used to grow some more in future.

This is how it looks like. These are the first one I grew.





A closer look at it.


These are the second one I grew.


Don't they look nice and green?


I scattered the unevenly that's why it looks so crowded when they grow bigger.
Ready to be picked.


After it being picked and washed. It is ready to cook.. (yummy)...


Cooking Time. I stir fry it with some onions and chicken cubes.


Cooked and ready to eat with rice of course. Yummy.

Recipe for this simple dish but delicious.
1 cup of chicken meat (cut into 2" size).
2 handful of mustard leaves.
1/4 cup of slice onions
pinch of salt and black pepper
2 tablespoon of oil
1 tablespoon of oyster sauce (optional)
1. Heat up the oil in the skillet and add the onions. Stir fry till it's soft and then add the chicken cubes about 5 minutes.
2. Add some salt to your taste and some black pepper. Lastly add the mustard leaves.. and cook for 3-4 minutes till soft.
If you want to add red pepper chillies with it, that's depends on your taste. Happy viewing.

No comments: